Bike Parks and Flow Trails
Photo: Cover art from IMBA's 2014 book Bike Parks: IMBA's Guide to New School Trails
A new, exciting era of bike park development is underway. Today, bike parks are getting built in attractive, easily accessed locations, and municipalities are funding them at the same level as other types of recreational facilities. Modern bike parks are designed to appeal to every skill level, with enough variety to keep riders coming back for years. Well-considered plans for maintenance and regular improvements ensure that these parks will be attractive and fun to ride for the long term.
IMBA has encountered a growing demand for information about how to plan, build and maintain successful bike parks, along with flow trails and other purpose-built bicycling facilities. In the fall of 2014, IMBA relased a book that documents all phases of planning, designing, building, and operating these facilities, with real-world success stories and multiple essays provided by leaders in the field. The resource offers 178 information-packed pages, including essays from more than two dozen expert contributors. The book is also packed with full-color photos, real-world bike park schematics, graphs, charts, and much more.
- Inspiring a community-based vision
- Fundraising strategies and partnerships
- Risk management and liability
- Design principles and concept documents
- Contracting and construction advice
- Maintenance and operations
The book can be ordered from IMBA Canada's online store for $35, plus shipping. Discounts are available for quantities of one or more boxes.
Read more about bike parks and flow trails by viewing IMBA's online resources. Be sure to scan the menu on the left side of this web page for a menu of articles.
- Advocacy and Organizing
- Bike Parks and Flow Trails
- 9 Ways to Involve Freeriders in Your Club
- Building a Dirt Jump or Freeride Park
- Building Bulldozer-Proof Trails
- Building Excellent Downhill Trails
- Developing Bike Skills Parks
- The Emergence of Bike Parks
- Build it and they will come
- Future of Bike Parks & Flow Trails
- Maximizing MTB Opportunities at Ski Areas
- NEW! Bike Park Maintenance Tasks
- NEW! Build A Bike Park Dream Team
- NEW! The Emergence of Bike Parks
- NEW! Working With Professional Bike Park Builders
- Grants and Fundraising
- Liability and Insurance
- Maps and Signs
- Mountain Bike Research
- Trail Building and Design
- Trail Difficulty Rating System